2023 Legislative Priorities
Safe Harbor and Service Response
Sponsored by Delegate Bartlett and Senator Waldstreicher
- Decriminalizes prostitution for minors so that when law enforcement encounters a minor engaged in sex work, that child will be referred to DSS and the relevant Regional Navigator and not the Department of Juvenile Services. In addition, this bills aims to protect minors from being criminally prosecuted or proceeded against for certain criminal or civil offence if the minor committed the offense as a direct result of sex trafficking.
Health Insurance – Access to Care Act
Sponsored by Delegate Pena-Melnyk and Senator Lam
- Alters the purpose of the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange Fund to include the provision of funding for the establishment and operation of the Qualified Resident Enrollment Program
- Requires the Maryland Health Benefit Exchange to establish and implement the Program to allow qualified residents to obtain coverage, facilitate the enrollment of qualified residents in qualified health plans, and, based on the availability of funds, provide premium assistance and cost-sharing reductions to qualified residents; etc.
Criminal Injuries Compensation Board (CICB) Reform
Sponsored by Delegate Smith and Senator Hettleman
- Creates a non-discriminatory victim compensation process that is accessible to all victims of crime, or their family members left behind, provide prompt and crucial financial support when it is needed most, and remove unnecessary and arbitrary denials of financial relief for victims of crimes.
Sexual Abuse and Assault Awareness and Prevention Program
Sponsored by Delegate Johnson
- Requires the State Board of Education and nonpublic schools that hold a certificate of approval from the State Board and participate in the Nonpublic Schools Textbook and Technology Grants Program to develop and implement a program of age-appropriate education on the awareness and prevention of sexual abuse and assault that includes, for students in grades 6 through 8, material promoting the awareness and prevention of human and sex trafficking.
Sponsored by Delegate Palakovich Carr and Senator Gile
- Prohibits the eviction of tenants for utilizing emergency public services, such as law enforcement, fire department, and emergency medical services, and prohibits local jurisdictions from passing ordinances that penalize owners and tenants of housing who utilize emergency public services.
Right to Reproductive Liberty
Sponsored by Speaker Jones and Senator Ferguson
- This legislation will lead to a ballot measure to create a constitutional amendment to protect the rights of individuals to make their own reproductive health decisions in Maryland.